Monday, January 24, 2011

Peeking out of My Cave

When I married my husband 6 years ago, I was 18, fresh out of high school, and moved out of state to be with him. Away from my family, my friends, my job, everything I knew at the time. Because of his job in the Air Force, we lived in a little podunk town where the cattle outnumbered the people, and the main place to shop was Wal-Mart. Sound bad? It was. So very very bad. I got pregnant shortly after we married, and I practically became a hermit.
My comfort zone was in my own home, with a couple close friends I made and my husband. I always pictured myself a pretty outgoing person, but I sort of lost all that in the move and ensuing pregnancy. Now 6 years later, not much has changed. I've had another baby and moved even further from my family and friends. I've made a couple good friends where we now live, but we can go weeks without talking and be okay with it. I've been fine with this, but I want to get out more and be more active. I want to do interesting things with my girls and husband, and have things to blog about at the end of the day.
So here are some questions for all of you moms and dads too, especially if you're a stay-at-home parent or military spouse. What do you do with your days? What activities do you do with your kids? With your friends? By yourself? Are you in any groups or clubs? How do you find them?
I'm hoping to maybe find playgroups for my youngest daughter, one or two after school activities for my kindergartner, and something for only moms or parents, and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

I'm a stay at home mom, and I've been dealing with the same thing! I recently found MOPS, and it's something that's changed my life! :P It's once a week and you get together with moms and usually you do a craft. It's so much fun and childcare is provided! Your kids can have fun and so do you! You should see if there are any Mops in your area!!!

Chelsey said...

Thanks Hilary! That sounds like a great idea! Now that you've mentioned it, I think I've heard of MOPS, and I may even know the leader of the local chapter. I'll get in touch with her and tell you how it goes :) Thanks for stopping by!